After World War 2, Odstock became a new NHS hospital for Salisbury. A post WW2 plan of the Odstock Hospital site, now Salisbury District Hospital, held in our archive shows many of the small temporary war time wooden huts still in existence. Although the exact date of the plan is unknown, it reveals the transition towards the new NHS facilities after 1948 with the re-use of nissen huts and the names of local villages being assigned to ward names. The plan pre-dates the construction of the Burns Unit in 1960s, which has been lightly pencilled in at the south edge of the site.
- Compare this to the US army plan of 1942 in Odstock’s beginnings as an American Field Hospital
- Read more about Odstock Hospital