From present day back to early beginnings
Commemorative badge presented to all nursing & midwifery staff on Florence Nightingale’s bicentenary and marking International Year of the Nurse & Midwife.
Hospital staff celebrate 70yrs of the NHS on 5th July 2018.
New Eye Clinic opens
Ophthalmology services move from Level 3 of the main hospital to a separate new Eye clinic building.
New Children’s Unit opens
A dedicated children’s unit opens comprising of outpatient departments, a Day Assessment Unit and the Sarum inpatient Ward, as well as secure outside play spaces.
Extension to Salisbury District Hospital opens
A new 3-level extension to Salisbury District Hospital is completed providing additional wards and outpatient departments, as well as a new Burns Unit. Princess Anne officially opens the new Burns Unit theatres.
Salisbury General Infirmary closes
A celebration service is held on 1st May 1993 at Salisbury Cathedral to commemorate the closing of Salisbury General Infirmary in Fisherton Street and the move of healthcare services to the new Salisbury District Hospital at Odstock.
Medical services transfer
Starting in 1991 and continuing throughout 1992 all medical services transfer to Salisbury District Hospital at Odstock from across Salisbury.
Duke of Cornwall Spinal Unit opens
In 1984 the Duke of Cornwall Spinal Injuries Unit is officially opened at Salisbury District Hospital.
Pioneering operating theatres
Nurse Jeanne Yates oversees the introduction of new pioneering operating theatres at Odstock hospital site.
Harcourt House opens
A new site for nurse training, closer to Salisbury General Infirmary is needed. Harcourt House opens in 1953 and continues to train nurses until 1992 when it closes and the Infirmary moves up to Odstock.
Plastic surgery unit opens
Dr Barron opens new plastic surgery unit at Odstock, the site of the current Salisbury District Hospital.
On the 5th July 1948 a new National Health Service, known as the NHS was launched. It was founded on the view that healthcare should be available to everyone and free at the point of delivery. The experiences of the Second World War provided the catalyst to pull hospitals, GPs, pharmacists, opticians and dentists together into one national organisation.
Nurse training at New Hall, Bodenham
New Hall at Bodenham is leased to establish a nurse training school which continues to train nurses until 1952.
Harvard Common Cold Unit opens
The Harvard Common Cold Unit opens on the site of US Red Cross World War 2 hospital in Harnham. It continues research until it finally closes in 1990.
Dr Darmady constructs first kidney dialysis machine
Dr Darmady experiments with the construction of the first kidney dialysis machine made partly of old Spitfire engines.
US army transfers patients to Odstock
On the 12th December 1942 the US army transferred patients to a site at Odstock, near Salisbury. The site was built to receive casualties from northern France and would later treat soldiers wounded in the D-Day landings in 1944.
Heale House opens
Heale House in the Woodford Valley opens as an annexe to the Salisbury General Infirmary to treat wounded soldiers during World War 2.
New Outpatients Hall built
A new Outpatients hall is built at Salisbury General Infirmary in memory of T. E. Lawrence.
Carnival held for hospital
A carnival is held across the city to raise funds for the hospital
Peace parade held to celebrate the end of WW1
Red Cross hospital, Harnham
Red Cross hospital at Harnham cares for wounded soldiers during WW1
Isolation hospital opens
An Isolation hospital at Old Sarum opens treating mainly children during epidemics. The hospital closes in 1951
Electricity connected to Infirmary
Electricity is connected to Salisbury General Infirmary for the first time and is used to provide light in the operating theatres
Fisherton Asylum opens
Fisherton Asylum opens in around 1813, which later becomes the Old Manor Mental Hospital. The site is now the present day Fountain Way Hospital.
Salisbury General Infirmary opens
Salisbury General Infirmary opens in a new building in Fisherton Street
Salisbury General Infirmary – the beginning
Salisbury General Infirmary starts up in existing buildings on the site of Fisherton Street
Meeting in The Vine
First meeting in The Vine to discuss the formation of a new hospital for Salisbury
Lord Feversham bequest
Lord Feversham leaves £500 from estate towards the creation of hospital in Salisbury
Trinity Hospital founded
Trinity Hospital founded by Agnes Bottenham
St Nicholas Hospital founded
St Nicholas Hospital founded by Robert Bingham, Bishop of Salisbury