MRI 3D cardboard modelling
Inspired by the layers recorded by an MRI scanner we are experimenting here with 2D layers of cardboard to create 3D shapes – why not have a go yourself!
You will need
- old cardboard
- blu tac
- wooden skewer
- Cut out some increasing sized circles in cardboard and thread these onto your skewer leaving a gap. TIP: to make a globe shape cut 2 of each size and one large centre ring.
- Try out different shapes to see what effect you can create. We tried a stack of 3cm squares of cardboard and once threaded on your skewer gradually twist each one from bottom to top. This created a spiral sculpture.
Other tips and ideas
- Stand up your sculptures by fixing your skewer into a blob of blu tac
- Get creative and try different abstract shapes
- More 3D sculpture ideas can be found on our ArtCare MRI activities Pinterest board
- Try making 3D animals
- Make a relief cardboard portrait
- Try our MRI magnetic motor sculpture activity or magnet experiments activity